Friday, March 2, 2012

Making Time for Life

Shhh! I have a secret. Here’s the thing. I desperately need more time and since I can’t function without sleep I need your ideas. I’ll share some things that are working for me and if you have any tips that have helped you I'd love for you to share them too. What helps you keep on top of all you're responsibilities? How do you save time? Are you able to make time for yourself?


Being organized helps me the most. Of course, it's another area of my life that is a work in progress. The more organized I am, the better balanced my life is. A calendar, a timer, and a desktop organizer are some of my best friends. Really! 

I use Google Calendars to schedule things. I love that I can access it from my iPad or any computer with internet. The really cool feature is that I can keep separate calendars for each member of my family, for my blog, and for my work. Then, I can view them all together or pick which ones I want to see at any given time. Everything is color coded too.

 As I plan my week, I use a form to pencil in tasks working around any scheduled events. You can grab the form I use by clicking on it below.

My timer is a great motivator. I am a fan of Fly Lady and she points out that you can do almost anything for 15 minutes. Just working on those tasks 15 minutes at a time and then switching to something else really helps me avoid procrastinating. Plus, it always amazes me how much more I get done when I use the timer.

My desktop organizer is called The Desk Apprentice Organizer and it is available from Staples. It rotates and holds a ton of stuff. I keep hanging files in it for each workday. Each day has files for each subject where I keep my daily copies. I also keep files for things I need to do right away, filler activities, things to copy, things to take to the office, etc. in it. It even holds my supplies. On the sides I keep my RTI files, my lesson plan book, receipt book, and behavior sheets. It keeps my desk clear.

Angela Watson from the Cornerstone has a great book that has a ton of information on classroom organization. Much of my folder organization was inspired by her book. I highly recommend it.


Now that I’ve shared my tips, I would love to hear yours. So, please join in the party and let’s see if we can help each other make time for life outside of work. If you have a blog, please join the party and link up. If you join up, please be sure to post to the specific post and link back to this post. Thanks!  If  you don't have a blog you can still join in the fun by commenting below.

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I am loving the content here. I am giving you an award. Come check it out on Sunday!
    Adrianne
    Kidscogworks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will be passing it on tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Looks like Adrianne and I had the same idea! I nominated you for a Liebster Award - hop over to my blog to grab it! :)
    Nicole
    Teaching With Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to pass it on tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Hopped over here to see your linky party and was surprised to see my book mentioned! Thank you! And I love the Desk Apprentice--isn't that the best invention ever? :-)

    ReplyDelete