Thursday, February 9, 2012

Long I Heartbreak

My students love to play POW to practice their phonics topics. This week we are covering long I words. Our spelling patterns are ie and igh. When I made the game I included i_e, i, and y words with the long I sound. You can print out just the pages that focus on the patterns you want to practice or you can use all of them together.


This game is played by putting all of the cards face down in a pile or inside of a box or bag. Players set a timer for 3-5 minutes. Then, players take turns drawing a card and trying to read it. If a word is read correctly the card is kept. If the word is not read correctly then the card is put back.


There are also two special cards that make the game more interesting and keep your strongest reader from always winning. If an extra turn card is drawn the player keeps it and draws another card too. If the heart break card is drawn then the player puts back all of their cards. I hope your students have as much fun with this game as mine do. Just click here or on any of the pictures to grab your free copy.

5 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo! I've found my fun game for reading groups tomorrow! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad your class will use it. It makes my day.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to use this for reading groups, too! Thanks for sharing!
    Jenn
    Finally in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. I am glad you can use it.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much! Will share with the teachers at school!

    ReplyDelete