Saturday, October 1, 2011

Nouns

Last week we learned about nouns. My students learned that a noun is a person, place, thing or animal. They got it pretty easily.

Now it is time to move on to proper and common nouns. Distinguishing between them is usually a little more difficult for my first graders. The hardest part usually is remembering to capitalize them in sentences. That takes a lot of practice.

I made a little word sort activity to help my students practice distinguishing between common versus proper nouns while reviewing that nouns are people, places, animals, and things. You can grab it as a freebie. Just click here or on the pictures. I hope it is helpful to you. If you would like to read another post about nouns and get the free posters I made to go with this sorting activity, click here.

  
  

If you are looking for some other ideas on teaching vocabulary and grammar, PreK + K Sharing is hosting a linky party on language, vocabulary, and grammar. Stop by, check out what other teachers are doing, and share your own ideas. Just click here.

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic! This will be a great addition when I teach nouns. Thank you so much!

    Christine

    http://hoppingintofirstgrade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you like them and I hope they are helpful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!! Im working on nouns with my 5 year old and I think she will really like this game!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! My class is studying nouns this week and I want it to stick before we go on fall break.
    www.generaldelksarmy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for linking up! Love this post! Jennifer from PreKandKSharing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is great! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much! I will use this in class tomorrow with my first grade class!

    ReplyDelete