Sunday, August 28, 2011

Short Vowel Freebie

Have you ever heard of word ladders?  Word ladders are a type of puzzle that consists of a chain of words that change by one letter each time. They are a great way to explore the patterns in words. They can also introduce students to new vocabulary words.

I am reviewing short vowel CVC words with my first graders right now. I made a set of word ladders to use with them this week and I wanted to share them with you all. These word ladders are short and simple, because most of my students will never have used word ladders before and I want to be sure they understand the concept before giving them more challenging ones.

Each word ladder has five words in all. I have made three levels in order to be able to differentiate. You can grab them by clicking on one of the pictures below.

 

3 comments:

  1. Perfect! We just started working on Long and short vowels last week!

    BTW . . .
    Love your blog! I chose you as one of my Top 10! Go to my post to get your award!

    http://plug-n-plan.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-top-ten.html

    ReplyDelete