Saturday, August 6, 2011

Advice for New Teachers

Fun in Fourth Grade is having a linky party about advice for new teachers. I am currently in my 7th year of teaching. Some days I still feel like a new teacher. Other days I feel like I have been teaching forever. I certainly don't know it all yet. I am still learning something new every single day, but there are some things that I learned along the way.
Don't expect someone to tell you something you need to know unless you ask. Most teachers and administrators are happy to help, but they are busy and won't think about telling you everything.
While you want your classroom to be comfortable, don't stress out about making it look perfect. Spend the majority of your efforts planning how your classroom will run and not how it will look. Put most of the money you spend into making it organized, efficient, and easy to run. Here are some books that I consider to be "must reads" when setting up your first classroom.



It's okay if the kids don't always like you. It's not okay if the kids don't always respect you. You want to be their best teacher and not their best friend. Being firm, consistent, and having established routines and procedures will allow you to plan fun activities without chaos over taking your classroom.
Relax. Find humor in your job. There will be situations you didn't expect and for which you weren't prepared. You will make mistakes.  Admit your mistakes, learn from them, plan how to avoid repeating them, but don't beat yourself up about them. Learn to laugh. Tomorrow is a new day and a fresh start.

Check out of the rest of the entries here.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and the awesome books! I have been trying to start thinking about classroom procedures but can't do too much until I know more information about the day.


    April
    Ms. Jackson's in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! I "found" it during this linky party and am a new follower. Your button is adorable.
    A good sense of humour, to me, is one of the most important things a teacher can have. Without one, the days are too long and the stress is too high.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a nearly new teacher (only 6 weeks left of being a student teacher) I just wanted to say thanks for the fabulous tips!! I am looking forward to being able to put your great advice to work:)
    Tina
    Good Morning Mrs Rubie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the kinds words. I hope you have a great year.

    ReplyDelete