Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Setting Up Your Room (Tuesday Tips & Technology)

Today I spent the day cleaning and organizing my classroom. I can't wait until my room is completely put together. Here is what I got done today.
It was a lot of work, but each year it gets easier. I wanted to share some tips that make it a little easier to set your room up. When you finish reading this post, check out the "What's Your Room Look Like?" linky party at Empowering Little Learners for more ideas.
1. Gather your supplies. Think about what things you will need as you set up your room. Put them in one place or wear an apron and put the little stuff in it.

Some of the supplies I need include...
-Baby wipes or Lysol wipes
-Duster
-Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
-Paper towels
-Scissors
-Masking Tape
-Hot glue & glue gun
-Sharpie marker
-Wire ties
-Bulletin board supplies
-Name tags


2. Make a plan. I measure my room and furniture. I usually map out where I want the furniture on paper before I start moving it. Think about how you want to use the space as you make your plan. Make sure you allow adequate space for traffic flow. Think about visibility. Will you be able to see all of your students?

I like to include the following areas...
-Rug area
-Small group table
-Teacher desk & storage for my materials
-Storage of student materials
-Desks
-Center areas and spots for reading
-Library area
-Computer area
3. If your furniture goes against the walls, do your bulletin boards first. Otherwise move the furniture, then clean, and decorate last. Having your furniture in place will help you visualize how you want to decorate. Plus, if you run out of time at least the basic room set up is done and things are clean.
3. Ask for help! Get a friend or the custodian to help move large furniture with you. If I need to move stuff alone I like to use furniture glider pads or small carpet pads to move furniture.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I love how you have everything covered. I am going to try not to make my room too stimulating this year but still make it look like kindergarten. I am hoping covering up my shelves will help to accomplish that. =) I also love how you made those shelves in an L so you could go behind them! I am going to try that tomorrow with 2 of my 4 shelves I have! Serious... at my old school I just wanted one.. not I have 4 =)

    Thanks so much... very helpful info. I have been drawing out a plan and trying to get it all to fit... it's really a large room I just can not visualize what I want and flow at the moment. I need to just pick a way and do it and change it after the fact if I don't like it.

    Thanks again for linking up!

    Empowering Little Learners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice. I just stepped foot in my room today from summer vacation and I am now so overwhelmed!

    Nice blog btw, I'm now a follower :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm your newest follower! Thanks for the tips on room set-up!

    Marisa
    iDream.iPlan.iTeach

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome! I am glad you like my blog.

    ReplyDelete