Monday, June 27, 2011

Upcoming Freebie & Teaching Tips

I wanted to share with you all a few tips and tricks that I have used while teaching. Some of them are probably familiar to you already. I am working on a Tall Tales Unit and will post the first set of materials for John Henry as a freebie when I get 20 followers. So if you are interested please be sure to follow me. Also, I will be sharing some tips for handling the transitions when you are doing guided reading groups soon. Stay tuned and thanks for checking out my blog.



Spelling City is a wonderful free tool (you can also upgrade for a fee). Check it out. You can put in your spelling list for the class, or if you have different lists then you can have several lists. The students search for your name and then see a listing of all of your lists and can select from it. Students can then play games with the selected words, study them, or even take a test (which can be electronically scored and printed out.) You can also use the test option for just the students who test out of your weekly list to save yourself from giving multiple tests or for students who were absent during the test. The site has audio and so it is able to read both the word and a sentence for each word to the children.


It is time now
It is time now
To sit down
To sit down
Boys and girls are learning
Boys and girls are learning
On the rug
On the rug
This song goes to the tune of Frere Jaques. I sign it with the class to transition the class from centers or their desk to the rug. I usually sing it twice. After that I count back from five to zero with the expectation that everyone is ready for learning and on the rug by zero. Of  course I many sing it more times depending on what clean up is involved in the activity we are transitioning from.

Electrical tape....Love it! I use this to divide my whiteboard. It peels off so much easier than other tapes. I also use it to make two Xs on the floor by my back table. I teach the students that if I am working with a group and they need help (after asking 3) they may stand on the X and wait for me. I see them easily there and don't have to get up to address them. I also teach them that only one person can be on the X and that if someone is there they must wait until the X is empty. I also insist that students on the X are silent. This keeps the other students from sitting with their hand up not working and keeps me from having a line of students waiting on me.










1 comment:

  1. I love your idea of creating the "x" with electrical tape! What an awesome idea! I am a new blogger too, feel free to visit me as well at

    http://dugginsdoodlebugs.blogspot.com

    Kelie

    ReplyDelete